A few weeks ago, I set out to search the internet for a mobile for the baby’s room. My philosophy in decorating the Mr.’s nursery is that he probably won’t care or remember most of the decorative things I add in the room (like mobiles for instance!), so I feel like the choices I make for the room are more for my fun than anything else! I mean, it’s going to change as he gets older right? I don’t want to go all baby baby on him in my choice of decor, especially since I like “grown up” kids rooms. ;)
So yes, back to the internet search. I set out to search for a mobile to hang in the room somewhere. I scoured websites, pinterest, and etsy, and just couldn’t find anything I was satisfied with. Then, instead of searching baby mobiles, I broadened my search to just include mobiles and I came across something super cool.
This mobile really intrigued me, because I’ve never seen anything like it before. I love uniqueness. Well, I was bummed to find out that this cool mobile and some of the others this artist made were $65-$100+!! No way I was spending that much on a mobile for the baby since the baby doesn’t really need one anyways!
So I decided to make one, using the picture above as my inspiration. I did a little more research and found out that these mobiles are made from straw and are commonly used in Finland as home decor during Christmas. They are called Himmeli mobiles. How cool is that?
At first, I tried making paper straws/tubes. . .which didn’t work out too well. But, it gave me enough of an idea to know what I needed to make my mobile come to life. Coffee Straws, thin yarn, and a needle!
Before I continue laying out the whole process, I’ll let you see the end result of my crafting, so you can feel inspired too (to see more photos, scroll to the bottom).
I wanted my mobile to be fairly big, and not too elaborate. The great thing about making these kinds of mobiles is that you can come up with SO many different looking mobiles. You have as much flexibility in the design as you want as you make each piece and put it together.
A very fine, but strong yarn
Coffee straws in color of choice (you can also use regular straws, your mobile will just look bulkier)
All in all, you should be able to make several of these mobiles for only $5 total!
1. Cut your straws to the length you desire for each section of the mobile.
2. Grab your yarn, thread your needle and string four straws onto the yarn. Make sure you only use the same length of straw for each section of the mobile.
3. Secure the straws together by either splitting or knotting the thread below the first straw. Sometimes I did a combo of both to get it secured just right.
4. Add too more straws, and secure at opposite end of the diamond you created.
5. Repeat step four as many times as you’d like for a different looks. I only repeated step four once in these pictures.
6. Thread needle back through one of the straws.
7. Thread one straw onto yarn and secure at juncture between straws threaded earlier.
9. Repeat steps 1-8 until you have created the Himmeli mobile you desire.
Here are a few more pictures of the mobile I made for the little boy’s room.
LEAVE SOME LOVE HERE:
Powered by Facebook Comments